925 West Grand Avenue
Phoenix AZ 85007
Small-drum workshop for members of Fushicho Daiko.
- song section with timing issue
- interesting tone-making objects
Part 1: Why practice shime?
- student demo shime part (Huyga?)
-- playing existing shime parts better
-- how to practice time: metronome diminishing clicks, upbeat
-- but when it doesn't work, it's often the ensemble's fault: training others to follow the shime
- musical tone (contrast to nagado)
-- using dynamics and tone more expressively for existing jiuchi
-- making the jiuchi more interesting: fewer overlapping notes, wider tonal range
- consistency (same motion)
Part 2: Why practice shime?
- each person plays unique sound
-- expand shime possibilities
Radiddlepa shaga section as jiuchi
- accents with nails
- gentle solo