Kauai Veterans' Center
3215 Kapule Hwy
Lihue, HI 96766
breaking up piece into differently sized boxes (line-by-line)
evaluating each line for its "emotional content"
- turning that knob to 11 (i.e. "If this line feels 'crusing' how do I make it MORE 'cruising'")
- trying not to judge (no good or bad... that comes only with context)
building the "decision tree"
- taking a leap one way or the other, again and again, until you find something
composing as a group vs individual
- power of group brainstorming, enthusiasm, due dates
- "too many cooks" problem solved by small composition tasks for individuals
Enthusiastic, curious players. Felt the overview of a step-by-step approach to tacking a rhythm might have the most impact convincing these players they're not limited by age. Hope the hurried mix of strike fundamentals and multi-drum techniques proves useful too.