3728 SE 34th Avenue
Portland, OR 97202
Off the naname deep end with Kris (Part 2 of 2-part workshop series)
Welcome: KB name challenge
- solos need to work rhythmically *and* choreographically
- no "melting"!
- if at all possible, play "don" of otsuri with R hand
- use otsuri less frequently over course of solo for tension and release
- "memory as instrument": you can leave out the parts the listener's memory will fill in
Using the rim for movement
- perpendicular rim hits to stop/start motion
- "tangential" rim hits to continue a motion
- angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection
- treat basic rhythms as "choreography"
Wonderful group of enthusiastic players. I love Portland Taiko!